"success consits of going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm."

w. churchill

"failure is my new best friend, security my foe."

w. lopez-swiatek


Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Random Acts of Immaturity/Spite Singing

OK..so what exactly is Spite Singing, and who invented it?
Contrary to what you might think..it was NOT invented by Sanjaya, although he seems to be a marvelous practioner without even knowing it.
My personal history with S.S. goes back to the early 1960's. I practiced it mostly while doing the dishes with my sister. She'd wash and I'd dry, so she couldn't escape my singing without getting in trouble for not doing her chores. ( A captive audience is a MUST to make this effective...cars are obviously another great venue for S.S.)
There are two strategies that I follow:
1) Pick a song that the person loves and destroy it by singing it as an operetta or lounge act style
2) Pick a song that they find particularily annoying and just sing it ( repeat if necessary).
Here are two real life examples that I love:
1) Someone I know, after having a fight with his wife,goes into another room and whistles the theme from The Loveboat.
2) Some guys that I used to work with used to sing One Million Bottles of Beer on the Wall....." take on down..pass it around..999,999,999 bottles of beer on the wall"..you get the idea.
Some recent examples are singing the Office Depot theme song ad nauseum at work
and a woman I heard of who sings the song from " Annie " ( ' tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow" when turning her husband down for sex. There are no rules. Be creative!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Love the Spite Singing ... I'm the lounge singer. Use to sing 'Danny Boy' to a friend who absolutely loved it. But I would throw in an international flair and sing it, 'Daniel, muchacho.' Until she screamed. And she did. Often. Here's my favorite random act of immaturity: I go to a lot of meetings during the day. I doodle when I get bored ... which is often. But I don't doodle little squiggles. I draw The Finger. Big. Little. All over the page.

Love your blog, Wendy. And sign me up as a reluctant adult. My niece says I'm childish ... I prefer childLIKE. Sounds much better.