"success consits of going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm."

w. churchill

"failure is my new best friend, security my foe."

w. lopez-swiatek


Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Up your nose

I'm reading a wonderful memoir ( She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel) and in it the author recounts a childhood incident where she got an object lodged up her nostril. Her mother only had three rules of conduct for her to follow. One of them was " Never put anything up your nose". As a parent , I love hearing about things that people remember from childhood regarding parental advice.
What will my kids remember about my words of wisdom? Am I falling down on the job because I never included the nose warning in their set of life instructions?
I don't remember what, if anything, my parents said on that topic..but I do remember getting something seriously stuck in my shnoz.
Back in the 60's there was a commercial for Prell shampoo. Remember Prell ?..it was a really thick and emerald green. I still remember, the smell, the texture.. the shape of the bottle...
In the commercial a woman drops a pearl into the shampoo bottle . The pearl barely moves at all because the stuff is so unbelievably dense. My mom had one of those snap-together pearl necklaces. It was like they specifically designed them so kids could pull them apart and start dropping them into shampoo bottles. Of course, that's what we did. After a while, that got boring so I must've thought it would be interesting to see what would happen if I crammed one up my nose ( gives new meaning to "Pearl Jam" ).
Don't remember much of what happened next.. ( repressed memory syndrome).. except for throbbing pain, intense fear, and the fact that Mom or Dad somehow miraculously retreived the sucker . Maybe using the nose Heimlich manuever? My adult nose is kind of odd looking...wonder if this unfortunate childhood stunt has anything to do with my current dissatisfaction with my nasal appearance?

No comments: