"success consits of going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm."

w. churchill

"failure is my new best friend, security my foe."

w. lopez-swiatek


Saturday, April 7, 2007

How far exactly does the apple fall from the tree?

I was looking at some pictures taken during my first hospital stay back in 1994.
Never having had surgery before and fearing hospitals in general i was scared shitless.( so shitless in fact, that i had no need for an enema.)
To cope with the fear of surgery I decided to try and make my hospital stay as fun as possible. I had no bathrobe ( what person under 35 owns a bathrobe ) so when i bought one I went full tilt and bought one that had big old markings on it like a cow costume.
I don't know if most people photo-document their surgical hospital stays ,but I did. In the photos most of my visitors donned the cow bathrobe and posed with me.( I even have a photo of my surgeon wearing it!) My very favorite photograph is the one of my dad wearing the bathrobe but with a bent-up hanger coming out of one of the sleeves where his arm should have been.
He felt I was getting all together too much attention so he decided to get some himself by walking with me around the nurses' station (in the aforementioned outfit)pretending that he was an injured vet that lost a limb in Korea. ( he really was in Korea). I guess i know at least to some degree where my need for attention comes from. Plant corn, get corn...as my friend the school psychologist says.
Two days away from the 11th anniversary of my dad's death and I miss him more than ever.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

OMG ... your dad sounds great. I took my dad to a baseball game a few years ago. I was driving. The traffic was horrendous and the police were not cooperating in my effort to snag a good parking spot. I turned to my dad and said, "Look handicapped." So he slumped down in the seat, sagged his shoulders and got this I-just-had-a-stroke look on his face.

Worked. The cops waved us on and we high-fived all the way to a primo parking lot.

Today when I have my afternoon margarita, I will toast your father and mine (he's a WW2 vet). Good thoughts to you, Wendy.

buranday said...

well, good afternoon weelo...yours is not bad, either..it is down to earth & funny...especially this one...thanks for passing by.