"success consits of going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm."

w. churchill

"failure is my new best friend, security my foe."

w. lopez-swiatek


Friday, November 2, 2007

the things we'd save from a fire



With the recent wildfires in southern california,
i have been thinking about
which material possessions i would grab
as i dashed from my flaming abode.
the kids, husband and bunny are safe.
i guess i would throw my fireproof strongbox out the window
knowing full well that it's not really fireproof
and that only half of the important papers that should be in it, are in fact, in there.
family photos, of course..(if i only knew where they were.)
john menihan's art work
my journals
the kids' artwork and writing
my curious george purse ( with my wallet in it hopefully..it would be a drag to have to get a new license).
and my red sneakers.
i find that i can deal with any difficult life situation more easily
when wearing the red sneakers.
i really don't feel attached to too many "things".
not that i don't want lots of stuff.
i just don't have lots of stuff.
i think i like looking at stuff and wanting stuff
more than actually owning it.
owning stuff is a pain because you have to put it somewhere
and then remember where you put it.
and you have to USE it or else you feel guilty for
buying it and not USING it.
the other day i was looking at a catalog
filled with items to help with meditation practice.
i showed jonah a zen clock that bongs a nice chime throughout the day to remind you to be mindful.
i also showed him a neat meditation mat.
then i reminded him that my birthday was swiftly approaching.
he shook his head and said "Mom, did Buddha sit on a mat and have a meditation clock?"
"No, Jonah, he probably did not".
"Then I really think that you don't need one either".
guess he gave me a little lesson on non-attachment!
Did I mention that Jonah was born on Dec.8, the day of Buddha's enlightenment?
So Buddha didn't have a clock or a mat , but i bet, if he could have, he would've had red sneakers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just stoped by to read your blog. You are so funny.....We sure miss our mail lady Aesthetic Restorations, the new guy is boring he never talks to us:(
Barb

Anonymous said...

Doug's boy,Max,and John's granddaughter,Samantha, were also born on that day....all enlightened kids. Love your stories! Mom

Brooke said...

Ok. I'm a little confused. Do you have another blog called "Mail Girl"??? Did I find you or did you find me? LOL

I think I'm too exhausted from doing nothing all day! LOL LOL LOL