"success consits of going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm."

w. churchill

"failure is my new best friend, security my foe."

w. lopez-swiatek


Thursday, October 25, 2007

Reunited


i know that things are just things, but some things have the power to make me enormously happy.
the color red is one such thing.
Curious George is another.
my Curious George purse changed my mood every time i wore it.
i lost the purse several months ago and while i tried to carry on with "life as usual.." there was a real sadness connected with this loss.
i bought the purse right before jonah was born almost 11 years ago.
his first gift.
which i quickly co-opted.
i have never seen another one like it.
my purse has been the envy of many women. total strangers have approached me to proclaim their fondness for it.
when it vanished,
i tried to retrace my steps, to no avail.
the last few months i have looked and relooked, finally giving up and accepting that i may never see it again.
tonight while looking for a winter comforter i found my favorite fashion accessory
hiding on a peg in a closet underneath a hoodie.
what a complete rush of joy
to see george's happy monkey face again!
there are some things
that go beyond thingdom.
my red sneakers.
my elvis power ring.
and george.
welcome home buddy.
it's crazy how much i missed you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cute ! bet George is happy too ! In that dark closet for 11 years !! xxx Mom

Anonymous said...

oops! I read it too fast. georgie wasn't missing that long. Good ! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Wendy-
So glad your George purse is back! I think last time I saw you (Church?) you had it and I remember it distinctly, plus that conversation piece led you to recommend Jack Johnson Curious George soundtrack, which Tim and I both bought for each other last Christmas...now one of the family favs.
Can't wait to read the book
Rock on
BB