"success consits of going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm."

w. churchill

"failure is my new best friend, security my foe."

w. lopez-swiatek


Friday, October 5, 2007

How much for a bushel of apples?

Last sunday i took the kids for a drive to a nearby apple farm.
we needed to get out of the house, enjoy the day, and buy a bushel of apples.
pretty straightforward agenda.
we got to the place and it was a mob scene.
wound up parking in a field quite a ways away from the building.
in order to get to the building you had to walk through the field which would have been no big deal EXCEPT for the fact that on that particular day there was an "open house" for these shed-type buildings set up there.
i tried to walk on by, but they were calling my name.
there were many models to choose from.
all were dolled up with windows and shutters. one had a FRONT PORCH. another had an upstairs.
i've given up on the vespa and now am fully fixated on building an adult playhouse in my backyard.
what would i do in there?
sit.
look out the window.
listen to music.
write.
read.
paint.
lie on my back.
can't i do those things in my house?
yes.
but it's different in a creativity shack.
outbuildings have figured into my life in a magical way since childhood.
my dad's sister had the "little house" down by the pond (and pavilion!) in her backyard.
she and my cousin used to paint and create stuff down there.
our neighbors in fairport had a barn in their backyard...right on Main St.
it was a kids only barn . we hung there constantly and felt like we were out in the sticks..far from our sterile suburban lives.
my first boyfriend also had a mini barn in his backyard and i probably loved it as much as i loved him..and that was A LOT!!
after moving to East Rochester our pet goat, Clea, even scored her own imitation log cabin in her pen.
it's my turn now!
the person in charge of the open house could see she had a "live one" in me and gladly gave me fact sheets, phone numbers and info about the fall sale ..along with a price list. for a 10x10..only $68.00/month . that is of course without the windows and shutters....and no porch!!
we bought our apples.
and some carmel sauce to dip them in.
donuts.
milk.
pumpkin pie.
but i left my heart there in that field with a bunch of vinal clad glorified tool sheds.
two weeks ago there was an article in the sunday paper about a growing trend towards people building adult playhouses rather than additions.
it feels good to know i'm not alone.
now i've got to check out the town zoning laws.
and convince my better half.
after all, he built a sauna out there years ago.. and it looks lonely.

No comments: