"success consits of going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm."

w. churchill

"failure is my new best friend, security my foe."

w. lopez-swiatek


Monday, March 31, 2008

Radio Therapy

i've been a radio junky forever.
started off in my bedroom as a kid calling WAXC
and requesting "Dancing in the Moonlight".

being a mail carrier has allowed me to take the addiction to new heights
since i can listen for 4 hours a day..and get paid at the same time.

my sister took me to meet our true radio heroine, Diane Rehm, several years ago.
we stood in line, waiting anxiously for her to sign our books and when we got up to her we stood there like a couple of idiots..stammering and sweating..we were in awe!

had an "in-studio" expeience as a guest on the Bob Lonsberry show that i'd mostly like to forget. i brought a motion-activated barking dog with me for a prop (since i was on there to talk of things postal) and somehow the son-of-a-bee started barking while Bill Low was delivering his newscast. i remember diving for it and ripping the batteries out while getting a "not-so-smart" look from the producer.

my best radio memories involve listening to Click and Clack on Car Talk
on saturday mornings. sometimes they made me laugh so hard that i would listen to the same show all over again when they replayed it on sunday.
this past saturday i lived out a radio fantasy by being CALLER # SIX on their show.
(insert client # nine joke here).

talking to them and hearing them talk back...was completely surreal...reminded me of the first time i saw the HOLLYWOOD sign in person after years and years of seeing images of it.
needless to say i was in a state of SHOCK and AWE..but they managed to calm me down
and of course crack me up.

you can hear it for yourself on cartalk.com. (that is, if you have real player or itunes downloaded on your computer).
the date of the show was 3/29/08.
i'm proud to say they titled the show "Give me Liberty or give me Xanax" in reference to my desperate call.
i'm still buzzing a bit.
think i may just need that Xanax!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

give me xanax...ya all sounded great...had me laughing too...i'd just been thinking of you when i tuned into the show late...though not really late...cause..you from roch called in...so,,have you no need to rent a liberty now for a week...if you do i want a ride - for FUN of course. :) rahrah

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,
Heard you on Car Talk in Tucson. You are a hoot. Hope you get your Jeep.
Aunt Susie

Anonymous said...

Fantastic show, caller #6! Great energy and such fun to listen to. Did you see the great show comments you received on your segment online?

Am waiting for the blog post that contains only one thing. A picture of you + Patrick Henry. Grinning from ear to grill.

Anonymous said...

Wendy Dear!
I think you missed your calling as a comedian or radio personality. All my friends think you're a hoot and love your laugh. Hope something will come from the Chrysler contact.Hugs,Mom

Sarah said...

Weelo ... awesome!

You are a rock star!