"success consits of going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm."

w. churchill

"failure is my new best friend, security my foe."

w. lopez-swiatek


Friday, January 25, 2008

fighting mid-january winter blahs

every freezing, overcast, never ending rochester winter
makes me think of living somewhere more sane like virginia where my mom is
or arizona or california where other family members live.
i picture myself walking to my car without a jacket in february.
i picture myself going for a bike ride in march.
it's just a fantasy. and it only lasts for 3 or 4 months.
the rest of the year, i am perfectly happy to be an upstate new yorker.

i heard of someone a few years ago that had come down with a strong case of the winter blues
and decided to try to cure it in an ingenious way. his idea was to go out to hear live music for thirty days in a row.
the person did in fact do just that, and if my memory serves me, it worked.
how cool is that?
i've always been inspired by that story even though, with two young kids and a job that starts early in the morning i knew that cure would be close to impossible for me
to pull off.
so, i'm trying a compromise cure.
live music once a week.
there is a groovy bar not too many miles from my house that has an open jam on thursday nights.
so far i've ventured there twice.. even though the thought of going out in minus zero temps at 9 at on a work night seems like a nice idea..but maybe i should just get some rest..
i tell myself i'm just going to go for "a little while", but let's face it..once you're out and you hear that electric guitar start to wail and that skinny trombone guy start blowing..you're just gonna stay a little while longer.
yeah. i'm dragging on friday.
but it is such good medicine.
and those blahs?
they're fading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendy, Love the idea of moving to Virginia where the mail carriers here seldom have to wear a coat. Plus I'd get to see and know my grandchildren! The area has high employment,great weather,nice beaches and lots of history.For Paul there would be lots of work here too.:)Of course sister Tracey would have to come along. There's no chance! She doesn't like the people here she says. Of course most of them are transplants from the northeast!!Love,Mom

Sarah said...

It was 78 degrees here today. It's going to be 28 degrees tomorrow night.

I think it would be nice to live in a place where winter is winter and not winter, then spring, then winter, then more winter ....

But then I think again and realize that's the dumbest thing I've ever said.

Love this weather!!!!

Anonymous said...

your blogs are great..you have a great way with words!..Jim