"success consits of going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm."

w. churchill

"failure is my new best friend, security my foe."

w. lopez-swiatek


Sunday, September 2, 2007

the S word

my children jumped down my throat last week when i casually mentioned buying back to school stuff.
"how can you say that to us?" johnny wanted to know..obviously scarred by my attempt to prepare them for the return to early bedtimes, homework and other unspeakable things.

i get it. i was a kid once.
ok. still am one.
but thinking back.. and this may be another case of revisionist history...i distinctly LIKED going back to school.
loose leaf paper.
new glue.
virgin erasers.
but mostly the CLOTHES.
bell bottom cords.
new track shoes.
NEW NEW NEW!!! STUFF!
clean slate
new teacher to love or hate
never seemed to go down the middle.
maybe a new boy to obssess over.
notes to be passed without being caught.
and somewhere on the list..
learning .
library books to help me mind travel
assignments.
liked that word.
sounded like something secret agents carried out.

september is renewal
more so than january one
life starts over
open your book
pick up your pencil
amd begin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it ! If parents instill the positives of an education it will certainly help the kids. I hate to hear a parent say anti- school remarks! Think of the poor school teachers who have to deal with those negative feelings from their kids and parents too. They need all the support they can get.
Love, Mom ( 33 yrs. a teacher)

knitlit kate said...

hey wendy lopez! kate reeves sonnick here. my mom just showed me the ink about your new book in the bp post. huge congrats to you. i got the invite from kurtie & benita to come to the opening, but we were actually up in maine visiting my bro...so sorry to have missed it. anyhoo, i'm psyched to check out your new book and wish you all the best with your writing. say hi to paul for me : )