"success consits of going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm."

w. churchill

"failure is my new best friend, security my foe."

w. lopez-swiatek


Saturday, August 4, 2007

it's official

At a certain point in the aging process you look at your face and say " who exactly are you again? you look vaguely familiar."
your eyes aren't the twinkling, bagless, wrinkle-free beauties they once were. your forehead starts getting more grooves in it than one of your old vinal 45's. And you begin to wonder : am I still recognizable ? i haven't seen most of the people i graduated with 30 years ago since the day we graduated. i don't expect them to recognize me. but what about people i knew, say, 4 years ago...i.e. the people i used to see and talk to every day on my old mail route back when i was a semi-spring chicken ( OK, a 43 year old spring chicken, but still..).
well, this week i had to deliver a section of my old route. it was a sunny day and many of my dear old customers were out in their yards. i decided that i wouldn't say anything except "hello", and see if they remembered me. out of about 6 people..4 didn't recognize me at all, one did the old double take, and one said " I thought that was you..you look different!". Thanks so much for that affirming comment. It's official. I'm old. Now I can stop wondering. Glad I got that out of the way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hypothesis is valid and the logic is solid... but incomplete, which led to the flawed conclusion. You see, you forgot the fact that those six people aged exactly the same as you and I and some dude in Zaire did in the last 4 years. When people get older, their memories degrade. See where I am going? It's not that you are old. What happens is that they don't remember jack anymore... because they are old. :)

Anonymous said...

Wendy,Maybe their eyesight is also failing! I don't have a clue what our mailman looks like as he delivers it to our roadside box.This guy has zero personality when I have encountered him. Can't say that about you !!