"success consits of going from failure to failure, without loss of enthusiasm."

w. churchill

"failure is my new best friend, security my foe."

w. lopez-swiatek


Monday, July 9, 2007

end of vacation depression

i've had 10 days off. Ten glorious, fun, productive, relaxing days off.
Tomorrow i return to the Wonderful World of Working Stiffs. My fantasy of being an independently wealthy individual will come to a crashing halt.
i just re-set my alarm for 5:50 am. it's almost enough to make me cry like a goddarn baby. ten days is not enough. Sure, i did get to see a building blow up at Kodak park and I did take my first nap in 10 years, but still didn't get to clean out the dormer..or go to the drive-in.. or ride the jack rabbit..or even lie in my newly acquired hammock. Whaaaaaaaa!
Gotta go . need to put myself in time-out and pull myself together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wendy, Sorry you have to be back to work in 90 degree heat. Please take it easy and drink lots of water! Love you,Mom

Anonymous said...

"Father wears his Sunday best. Mother is tired, she needs a rest. The kids are playing out, downstairs."

I can't really explain why the opening lines from this 80's hit (by Madness) came to mind as I read "end of vacation depression", but they did. Maybe it was the image of routine, which wastes no time in showing her face when one faces a new Monday at the office. Maybe it was the thought of my own facial muscles weighting more than the usual, as I drive into work.
Scientifically speaking, end of vacations suck. They suck badly. Then come the co-workers - those you have been dealing with for the past 8.3 centuries - with highly original questions, such as: "SO, how was your vacation?", or "Did you have fun", or my all-time favorite: "Is it hard to be back?"
Why would it be? What crazy individual would prefer the dream-like waters of a Caribbean beach (along with the limitless gourmet food from the resort) and the friendly, smiley vacationers over the all-you-can-eat-zombie-like-boredom of the office environment?
Boy, I miss high-school, college and Summer vacations...

Marcelo.